Saturday, October 12, 2013

Inside The Cage: MLB Post Game - Cardinals squeak by Dodgers In Game 1 Of NLCS; Preview Of ALCS


Carlos Beltran Photo by Chris Carlson/AP
Hitting with runners left in scoring position, that's what the entire baseball world will be looking at when they read the box score for game 1 of the NLCS between the Dodgers and the Cardinals.

People critiquing the game won't look at Zack Greinke's 8 innings of 4 hit, 10 K, 2 earned run baseball; or Joe Kelly's 2 earned runs in 6 innings outing while striking out 5 Dodgers. No, they'll be looking at this stat:

· RISP - 1-10

· LOB - 11.

You're not worthy of playing in a championship game, or even playing on a championship caliber team, if you don't produce with runners in scoring position.

The Dodgers basically shut down the Cardinals high powered offense, just as they did they Braves. Only difference is, while facing the Braves in the NLDS, they hit when they had opportunities; they hit a lot. The Cardinals gave them plenty of chances to break the game wide open, but the Dodgers just couldn't get anything going.

So, in that respect, I tip my hat to the Cards stellar defense for turning double-plays when they needed to. Through all of the walks issued by the Red Birds bullpen, they buckled down and got the grounders they needed to put a halt to any kind of rally or momentum-gaining inning.

Now, everybody will be criticizing Dodgers Manager, Don Mattingly, for opting to pinch-run for clutch first baseman, Adrian Gonzalez, therefore removing him from the game completely. But to be fair, Mattingly wasn't the one struggling at the plate with-- you guess it, runners in scoring position. It was the entire team; one player can't and won't be singled out over the other, it was a complete team loss.

Mattingly summed up the game best while talking to reporters after the game, "You've got to shoot your bullet when you get a chance."

On the other side of the diamond, never removed their best hitter in the clutch, OF Carlos Beltran. He's proven, in October, to come through when the team needed the big hit and always seems to comes through in the clutch. Some are calling him the 2000's version of "Mr. October," and while compiling career numbers like a .345 batting average, 34 RBI's and an OPS of 1.199, it's almost impossible to argue with them.

His supporting cast also brings an important question to the table: do the Dodgers have enough rounds in the chamber to take the NLCS away from the Cards? With key injuries to key players, it seems like an uphill battle.

Yes, the Dodgers have a lot of flair and money behind them, but flair and money can't prevent injuries. Should've-could've-would've-been MVP, Matt Kemp won't be seen in the playoffs, unless you count watching him to his best Bring It On cheering impression. Andre Ethier is still nursing a hurt ankle and has been scratched from tonight's line up. Also a late scratch tonight is Hanley Ramirez, after getting hit in the ribs from Cards starter, Joe Kelly, Ramirez stayed in the game, but watching him swing, you could tell there was a level of discomfort there.

The Red Birds, on the other glove, are without the services of another clutch hitter in Allen Craig, as he is listed day-to-day with a sprained left foot.

Both teams are definitely battling throughout the injuries, however the limelight seems to focus on Los Angeles a little bit more because of their high-profile owners and high-profile players.

Do you see what money does? First pitch is at 1PM PST.

As far as the ALCS, it's going to be between the Detroit Tigers against the Boston Red Sox. Honestly, did anyone think it would come out any other way?

Yes, the underdog stories of Oakland and Tampa Bay were nice and all, but really, it was always going to be these two fighting for a chance to represent the AL in the World Series. Heck, I was pulling for Oakland to make it past everybody simply for the reason of wanting a all-California World Series.

That doesn't mean that I had bet the farm on the A's, it was merely a pipe dream, as I am tired of seeing the same old faces on the same old teams playing for another championship.

Could my previous statement change if it becomes the Dodgers playing for the title every year? Probably, yeah, but that still doesn't mean I can't hope for a change in the AL scenery.

All writers almost always try to be as non-biased as they can, me included. But, since my team hasn't been in a World Series in, what, 20-plus years? I think it's okay for me to be a little biased. I mean, I know Cubs fans and writers will agree with me there. But, one thing I will never do is make excuses for bad play; that's just not who I am. I digress.

Anyway, I really can't call the Detroit or Boston sure-winners because, well, I just don't know. Both teams have clutch hitters, a stellar defense and a great pitching staff. If I am going to make a prediction for who will take the series, I'm going to go with the Tigers.

I think the combination of Verlander/Scherzer/Cabrera/Fielder is just too much for the Bo Sox-- Sorry, Boston faithful! I usually root for the Red Sox in the AL, and will still be, but I think Detroit will take it in 6 games. Don't take my word for it, what would I know, I'm just a doctor...or am I...?

First pitch is at 8PM EST. Who will you be cheering for?

No comments:

Post a Comment